-   Habil., Politehnica Timisoara, 2016
-   PhD., Politehnica Timisoara, 2008
-   Dipl.Ing., Politehnica Timisoara, 2004
I am Professor of Information Security at Politehnica University of Timisoara. My current research interests are in the area of car and mobile systems security. In the past I was preoccupied with more theoretical/formal aspects of cryptography and security which are still of interest to me.
-   in-vehicle network security
-   embedded and mobile systems security
-   cryptography, formal methods
PublicationsI have contributed to more than 80 publications addressing in-vehicle network security, embedded and mobile systems security, cryptography, formal methods, etc. As a brief overview, I'll list here some papers that are more representative for my current research:
-   PanoptiCANs - Adversary-resilient Architectures for Controller Area Networks, 27th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), 2022.
-   CANARY - a reactive defense mechanism for Controller Area Networks based on Active RelaYs, 30th USENIX Security Symposium, 2021.
-   CAN-SQUARE - Decimeter Level Localization of Electronic Control Units on CAN Buses, 26th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), 2021.
-   ECUPrint - Physical Fingerprinting Electronic Control Units on CAN Buses inside Cars and SAE J1939 Compliant Vehicles, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2022.
-   Effective Intrusion Detection and Prevention for the Commercial Vehicle SAE J1939 CAN Bus, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2022.
-   Sweep-to-Unlock - Fingerprinting Smartphones based on Loudspeaker Roll-off Characteristics, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2021.
-   CANTO - Covert AutheNtication with Timing channels over Optimized traffic flows for CAN, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2021.
-   Highly Efficient Authentication for CAN by Identifier Reallocation with Ordered CMACs, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2020.
-   Efficient Physical Layer Key Agreement for FlexRay Networks, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2020.
-   Efficient Intrusion Detection With Bloom Filtering in Controller Area Networks, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2019.
-   Security shortcomings and countermeasures for the SAE J1939 commercial vehicle bus protocol, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2018.
-   LiBrA-CAN: a Lightweight Broadcast Authentication protocol for Controller Area Networks, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, 2017.
-   Client puzzles and DoS resilience, Revisited, Designs Codes and Cryptography, Springer-Verlag, 2014.
You are welcome to check my complete publication list at the link below:
Recently, I have directed two national research projects concerning the security of smartphones and vehicles: PRESENCE (PN-III-P1-1.1-TE-2016-1317, 2018-2020) and CSEAMAN (PN-II-RU-TE-2014-4-1501, 2015-2017)
PRESENCE (PRivacy-Enabled, SEcured iNteractions between vehiCles and smart Electronic devices)
A project dedicated to the security of the emerging ecosystems formed by smartphones and cars
CSEAMAN (Cryptographic Security for Automotive Embedded Devices and Networks)
A project dedicated to the security of in-vehicle networks and components
Nonetheless, I have also contributed as a member in several national and international research programs: SEVEN (UEFISCDI, PD-2018-2020), COST Action IC1306 (COST 2014-2018, management committee), AVANTSSAR (EU FP7 2007-2010), DISSIS (UEFISCDI, PN2-IDEI 940/2008), and others
ActivitiesI have participated in several international conference program committees and have served as reviewer for various competitive journals in the field. Some of these are listed below:
Conference PC Member: RAID'22 , DATE'22 (A5), CRiSIS'22, ACSW'22, AQTR'22, STRIVE'21, ARES'21, ARES'20, AdHoc-Now'20, CRiSIS'20, AQTR'20, STRIVE'20, ITCVT'19, STRIVE'19, SIOT'19, A3S'19, ARES'19, CRiSIS'19 , ARES'18, CRiSIS'18, SIoT'18, BalkanCryptSec'18, AQTR'18, ARES'17, CRiSIS'17, SIoT'17, ARES'16, CRiSIS'16, BalkanCryptSec'16, SIoT'16, AQTR'16, RCD'15, BalkanCryptSec'15, SIoT'15, ARES'15, SIoT'14, ARES'14, BalkanCryptSec'14, ARES'13, ARES'12, CRiSIS'12, CRISIS'11 , SECURWARE'10, ICIMP'10, CRiSIS'10, ICIMP'09, IWSSI'07
Journal reviewer: Transactions on Network Science and Engineering (IEEE), Transactions on Network and Service Management (IEEE), Transactions on Vehicular Technology (IEEE), Vehicular Technology Magazine (IEEE), Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (IEEE), Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (IEEE), Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (IEEE), Transactions on Intelligent Trasportation Systems (IEEE), Transactions on Industrial Informatics (IEEE), Wireless Communications (IEEE), Communication Letters (IEEE), Telecommunication Systems (Springer), Designs Codes and Cryptography (Springer), Computer Networks (Elsevier), Computer Communications (Elsevier), Journal of Industrial Information Integration (Elsevier), Microprocessors and Microsystems (Elsevier), Journal of Computer and System Sciences (Elsevier), Journal of Systems and Software (Elsevier), Information Security Technical Report (Elsevier), Computer Standards & Interfaces (Elsevier), Security and Communication Networks (Wiley), and others.
Last but not least, I am responsible with teaching activities inside UPT. For the moment you can access my old teaching page below. Hopefully I'll find time to update it soon.
Get In Touch
You can write me at:   bogdan.groza   at   aut.upt.ro